How do I set up eero?
If you’ve just received your new eero (or want to check out what’s involved before you buy) this guide contains the official eero instructions, and some additions – it walks you through the entire setup process, step by step.
• In the box: Ethernet cable, eero(s), Power cord(s)
• What you’ll need:
◦ eero iOS or Android app
◦ A 1st or 2nd-generation eero (eero Beacons cannot be used to start a network)
◦ Mobile device with a data connection (If you don’t have access to a data connection, see the workaround instructions here.)
◦ Internet service
◦ Cable or DSL modem (if required)*
*Don’t know what a modem is? Unsure if you have one? Find out here.
STEP 1: Download the eero app for iOS or Android:
Download the eero app – you can find it on the Apple Store or Google Play. eero supports both iOS and Android (check here for details on the supported versions). You’ll need the app to set up your eero network. You won’t be able to set up your system on a web browser.
STEP 2: Tell us about your home (actually this step doesn’t appear until you want to add your beacon(s))
When you open the eero app for the first time, we will first ask you to tell us a bit more about your home. This allows us to make suggestions on where to place your additional eeros.
STEP 3: Create an eero account
You’ll need to enter a U.S. phone number and your email address. This is the only tricky part for getting the eero set up in Australia. If you don’t have a U.S. phone number you can get one from a service like SMS Receive Free – the next screen of the signup process will allow you to ignore this number and verify and activate your account via your email address. If the number you entered gets an error, you might need to uninstall and re-install the eero app on your device, and try a new number (if you have any trouble with this, please let us know).
Next, tap on the ‘Use email to verify’ link on the screen.
Eero will then send a verification code to your email address. Enter this code on the verification screen of the app to create your account.
If you don’t receive this email, check your junk mail, and try tapping the ‘Resend verification code’ link.
STEP 4: Set up your eero
The eero app will guide you through setting up your first eero, which will act as the gateway. It takes three easy steps:
1. Unplug your modem. If you have other wireless equipment connected to your modem, please unplug it as well.
2. Connect your eero (not eero Beacon) to your modem using the Ethernet cable. You can use either of the Ethernet ports on the back of your eero.
3. Plug your eero in with the power adaptor that came in the box and the US to AU plug adapter. Then plug your modem back into power. For placement tips, including DO’s and DON’Ts, visit here.
STEP 5: Create your eero network
Now that you’ve got everything plugged in, it’s time to create your eero network.
After tapping Next, the eero app will begin to look for your eero. You will notice that your gateway eero’s LED will begin to flash blue and then turn solid once found. Once your eero has been detected, you will then select a name for your eero, such as its location.
• If prompted, you may need to enter your eero’s serial number, which is located on a sticker attached to the bottom of your eero. Just look for a barcode with the letters SN on it – it’s small, but it’s there.
Once you’ve selected a name for your eero, you will choose your network name (SSID) and network password. This is how devices will join your network.
• If you’re replacing an existing router, one easy option for choosing a network name (SSID) and password is to simply reuse your current SSID and password. This way, you won’t have to reconnect devices that were previously on the network.
• Keep in mind that running two networks with the same SSID can be problematic. If you have a modem/router combo device – a single unit, often provided by your Internet Service Provider (ISP) that acts as your modem and router – please be sure to enable bridge mode on that device. Need help? Your ISP probably provides info as to how to do this, but if you get stuck, give us a yell and we’ll help if we can!
Tap Next and your eero will complete setup!
STEP 6: Add eeros to your network
Once you’ve set up your gateway eero, the eero app will walk you through steps to set up additional eeros or eero Beacons on your network. eeros can be added wirelessly or by Ethernet, while eero Beacons can only be added wirelessly. If you need help with placement, we’ve got lots of tips here. It’s a great idea to familiarise yourself with these tips before getting started so that you can optimise placement throughout your home from the get-go.
Step 7: Connect devices to your eero network (refer to Step 2 for house configuration)
One final (and important) step is to remember to connect all of your devices to your new eero network. To do this, simply find your eero network on your device, enter the network password that you’ve created, and get connected.
If you experience any trouble reconnecting specific devices to your new eero network, try disconnecting and reconnecting WiFi on the device. If that doesn’t work, try rebooting the device and then reconnecting to the network once it powers back on.